Discover Grange: Parks and Gardens in Grange-over-Sands
Affectionately known to most locals as the 'Duck Pond', the Ornamental Gardens and pond were constructed on an area of marshland that was cut off from the shore when the railway was constructed In the late 1800’s
The pond is fed by a stream that flows from Hampsfell along Windermere Road and Picklefoot Spring.The spring has a constant flow of water and a reputation for never running dry, even in times of severe drought. There is also a fountain in the pond.
The collection of wildfowl is unfortunately not as extensive as it once was. Increasing costs, theft of the birds, and predation by foxes have taken their toll so the pond is now mainly dominated by geese, mallards and gulls - although a few of the more usual varieties can be seen. You can still purchase duck food from some of the shops on Yewbarrow Terrace overlooking the gardens. Please do not feed them bread as this is not good for them!
The paths take you right around the pond and there are plenty of seats available for you to rest or to simply enjoy the views. Public toilets are also available here (chargeable/card payment only or Radar Key).
The Ornamental Gardens is also home to the town’s War Memorial. It is built of Staintondale Limestone. The back of the cross is carved as well as the front! It was unveiled on Armistice Day, 11 November 1921 by Lord Richard Cavendish of Holker Hall. Next to the memorial are the marble tablets giving further details of the names of the fallen resulting from research carried out by local resident and former Town Clerk Frank Brooks. The “Tommy” silhouette was added in 2019 to commemorate the centenary of the start of WW1. The Ornamental Gardens are owned and maintained by South Lakeland District Council, assisted by a team of volunteers.
Normandy Veterans Gardens
Known locally as the “Sunken Garden” because it is hidden below Main Street. The garden was laid out in 1925 by landscape gardener Mr Benson. Located next to the Ornamental Gardens at the exit from Main Street car park this lovely little secluded garden is an ideal place for a picnic. Use the bench seating or bring a blanket and sit on the grass!
The stone memorial in the centre of the lawn is dedicated to the Normandy Veterans and was added several years ago. Up until 2014 the area Normandy Veterans Association held their Annual Service of Remembrance in the garden. Here are the details from the memorial plaque:
NVA/NORMANDY/1944/NORMANDY VETERANS ASSOCIATION/NO 8 BRANCH/CUMBERLAND WITH LANCASTER/IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO/LOST THEIR LIVES IN NORMANDY/1944
Originally the formal gardens for Yewbarrow Lodge, the home of Lieutenant Colonel Austin Porritt. The Lodge itself was badly damaged by incendiary bombs in 1941, but the gardens were unaffected.
The Lodge, gardens and woods were left by Porritt to Grange Urban District Council as an open space for the people of Grange.
Today the garden is less formal and home to the Community Orchard, a collection of predominately old varieties of apple. Sample one at harvest time, but please leave some for others to taste! More recently volunteers have been restoring the rock gardens at the top of the garden. For the more adventurous after visiting the gardens use the Yewbarrow Woods Walk leaflet to enjoy a walk through Yewbarrow Woods, stopping every now and again to enjoy spectacular views over Morecambe Bay.
Used as allotments during WW1, the site was purchased in the late 1920’s to create a new home for the bandstand after Edwardian ladies complained that the smuts (soot particles) from the steam trains were spoiling their dresses when the bandstand was situated on the promenade.
Originally the park just had the bandstand, the gardens were not developed until the 1930’s.
The bandstand itself is surrounded by a moat full of water lilies and newts – how many can you spot? The garden has some wonderful mature trees and plenty of seats for you to relax and enjoy the peace. Why not bring a picnic?
The park opened on the 6th April 1929 and the first band to play was Besses O’th’Barn, one of the world’s oldest brass bands still in existence. Besses were invited back and played again in 2009 to help celebrate the 80th anniversary of the garden. During the summer there are regular concerts at the bandstand on Sunday afternoons, look out for the list of dates. Park Road Gardens also has a Sensory Garden (originally a rose garden), developed and maintained by Soroptimists International Grange-over-Sands
A small triangular shaped garden situated opposite Cedric Walk where Park Road meets Kents Bank Road. Cox’s Corner was originally the garden for Dr Cox who lived in the house opposite, hence the name. Dr Cox gave the garden to the town. Once filled with colourful annual bedding plants, today the garden is more wildlife friendly with sustainable planting and is maintained by South Lakeland District Council.